79 Te51 Back in the Daylight

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

ROOSTERCOGBURN

79 Te51 Back in the Daylight

Post by ROOSTERCOGBURN »

Well I'm back...

Trolled around the old site while working on the 79 TE51 sports coupe a few years back. Was my poor college kid project which got mothballed soon after graduating. Now 4 years later, and a company man with some disposable income, I have had the urge to pull it out of the garage and maybe finish her off.

The digs...
1979 te51 SR5 Corolla. Bought by my mom new in 79
Rebuilt 2tc w/
Cam/ double springs
Dual weber 40's
Thorley header
Saturn alternator
electric fuel pump

Work equip 02's 14" x 7"
AE86 front strut swap w/ coilovers and tokiko adjustable inserts
Rear de arched springs with added leaf
Re done-ish interior
Rear sway bar
Yet to install 1" front bar
Special (work in progress) front bumper

There is a bunch of little stuff to do but the ol pacific northwest winter is layin in so we shall see what happens....

I still need to drop the ass another inch or so, solve the rear ugly bumper problem, make some RCA's , get new rear shocks, and of course there is always carb fiddling to be done...

The thought of ganking the engine back out for a bore n' port has crossed my mind, but im happy with it for now.

I also may or may not have stumbled across a 72 peanut and a 2tg that are dying to mate, so setting up that date could be eating up time and money...

Anywho, feels good to get back at hunting for non existent parts, swapping around franken parts and hearing those side drafts growlll...

Last edited by ROOSTERCOGBURN on Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skellington

Re: 79 Te51 Back in the Daylight

Post by skellington »

Very cool sports coupe. Looks good in that red. You can always send the 2tg my way so it can rest in my te27. :D
Mazota TE51

Post by Mazota TE51 »

Wow nice to see you still have it. I thought you might have sold it. Looks sharp..
Toyota1515

Post by Toyota1515 »

One of my favorite cars of all time!
SF5 FOZZY
ROOSTERCOGBURN

Post by ROOSTERCOGBURN »

With spring around the corner I pulled out the boys out of hibernation and snapped a few pics.

Still collecting parts for O'l yeller. Not sure just how far i want to go with it yet. The 2TG will be going in it eventually along with all the standard suspension mods. I am leaning towards leaving the groovy 70's pin striped yellow paint and chrome trim for a while.

BOBLOOK

Post by BOBLOOK »

I was thinking for a 2TG engine aswel for my project but those are pricey around ;)
The day we learn to think