Toytuner

My 79 TE51 2TC

Post by Toytuner »

Sorry guys I'll get new pics up in the morning! :D
ImageImage
ImageImage
Lowered front and rear 2in
Supra wheels
Paints so thick and gummy it was easier to scrape off.
Smoked tails just before the tear down
This disaster you see is what the previous owner called "porting the head" it feels worse than it looks. Gonna have to fix it myself now.
Here's my ugly mug getting my new box organized.
Last edited by Toytuner on Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
skellington

Re: My 79 TE51 2TC

Post by skellington »

Sweet little liftback you got there.
Mazota TE51

Post by Mazota TE51 »

:( I cant see pictures?
Toytuner

Post by Toytuner »

New pics are up of the build thus far
BOBLOOK

Post by BOBLOOK »

It look worse but is fixable with some love !

The day we learn to think
Toytuner

Post by Toytuner »

Yeah the kid had no idea at all what he was doing. Doing this by hand takes a lot of man hours and an eye for details. My machinist said he can fix it no problem. I've began polishing the intake runners to a mirror finish. Now I gotta find me a better carb for it, any ideas?
Foxau2

Post by Foxau2 »

As far as a new carburetor I would recommend going with a Weber 32/36. It worked absolute miracles when I put one on my Celica and my 79 TE51 like yours. Of course it doesn't hold a candle in the wind the the 2TG EFI stuff I have on my 77 TE51, but a Weber carb is certainly better than the factory carb.
81TE72

Post by 81TE72 »

Nice Ride liek the wagon ...

Josh
Toytuner

Post by Toytuner »

Hey guys! Been a really long time since I've been on here. Been finishing my 68 Mustang over the last few years and finally got the time and money to finish my TE51. So a few quick questions for anyone who might know. I'm going to re gasket the whole motor, while I'm in the process of doing body work and painting. I've got a header for the car and I'm gonna swap a Weber carb into it as well. Not looking for huge gains, just a little more power and torque and reliability. My questions are : I want to upgrade the front struts and brakes. I can't remember what struts to use and are they a direct swap or is there some modification needed.
Same with brakes, the un-vented discs freak me out and I'd prefer either a bigger disc or a vented disc. Are there any swaps?
It's a shame I live in Montana because 70's toyotas are about as rare as a Volvo with a gun rack. People didn't keep them up here and they have all been scrapped and crushed. I missed a beautiful 72 Celica a. Few years ago. Low mile and the front bumper was trashed but otherwise was immaculate. Owner even had the original floor mats and a window sticker. He decided that he didn't want to wait to sell it and crushed the poor thing. Anyways, any help on tracking down parts would be greatly appreciated!
AE25

Post by AE25 »

These cars share the underpinnings of the ke3/te3 chassis. That might open up options if searching for te3 upgrades. The usual swap is for ae86 gts (4age powered) struts which come with vented disks. or aftermarket ae86 coilover struts if you can source the 86 hubs and suitable brakes. (plenty of upgrade options). they share the 85mm bolt spacing of the te2/te3/te5/te7 steering knuckle so will bolt in. But you will need to sort out suitable springs and shocks to suit the weight and height of car.