Kevin's TE27 Project

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

maxdout

Re: Kevin's TE27 Project

Post by maxdout »

Roland, yes I'll defintaly roll out to see you soon.
maxdout

Post by maxdout »

The BOSS has been great to me recently. She purchased a set of FlexForm fiberglass springs for me a few months back. It took them a while to build these but they are so much lighter than the factory metal ones.

i did run into an issue though... the holes were a bit too small. 3/8 were the sizes but the car needed a bit more.

maxdout

Post by maxdout »

I had to make a run to the local HF store... picked up an elcheapo micrometer...

3/8 is the size of the eye on the new spring...

turns out the hook up parts from the TE27 are 25/64 in size.

Somehow i made a brain fart decision and bought a 25/64 drill bit from OSH. Ended up not being big enough... So i went back to OSH and bought the size up from that 13/32.

The old reading off of the old leaf spring...

All drilled out, test fitted and good to go. 13/32 was the size to be, . It is a mm bigger but didn't give much if any play.

So far I haven't tested it out to see if it's made a difference. Unluckily, i smashed my rear brake lines while jacking up and down the car. :oops: Time to go make new lines...
maxdout

Post by maxdout »

btw in case anyone is wondering what I ended up ordering.... below is what i submitted to them.

http://www.flex-form.com/products.asp
The measurements used for their order form was as follows:
A-dimension overall = 45".
B-dimension center pin = 19 5/8".
C-dimension arch height = 2".
D-dimension chord = 44 3/4".
E-dimension bolt diameter front = 5/16", back = 25/64".
F-dimension width = 2".
Car weight = approx 2000 pounds, with a typical Corolla weighing 440 pounds per each rear tire. Spring Rate is 150.

I have to give thanks to Tom for passing the information to me. I found him and his corollas on the following website [i think it's his website] and emailed him. He has alot of useful information:
http://oldcorollas.com/#!featured/toms-sr5-109
Rolap7

Re: Kevin's TE27 Project

Post by Rolap7 »

Wow! that's really cool! please let me know how you like them. Thanks for sharing that information :D :D :D
"As the excellence of steel is strength, and the excellence of art is beauty, so the excellence of mankind is moral character." - A.W. Tozer
maxdout

Post by maxdout »

Not much of an update other than... merry xmas to myself... got a new cluster that is very close to mileage as my stock one. Installed and working.

maxdout

Post by maxdout »

the rattling and bouncyness finally did me in. This past 3 day weekend, i pulled apart the front suspension and took a peek under there. Turns out the front shocks were dead... I took a few trips to local autozone and oriely but they couldn't find me a strut insert to fit. So I called up Techno Toy Tuning and drove out there. They were very nice and assisted in finding me a close match. 85 Toyota MR2 rear shock or p/n Tokico HZ1086. I ended up picking up the t3 camber plate as well. Brought the new parts home, test fitted, reinstalled, just need to redo the brakelines and bleed the brakes.