Ryan's TE38

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

skellington

Ryan's TE38

Post by skellington »

I ended up with another project car. It is a 1975 (pre-smog for CA) TE38 E5. I bought it cheap. I drive 300+ miles to see the car. The ad said "Runs Good". I got there and he said it hasn't been driven for 7 years and he had just got it started. He had owned the car for a long time. It served as a first car for all 3 of his kids. I checked it over, bought it, did some minor engine work, and drove it 324 miles home with no issues. The car drives well, but an engine rebuild is needed. It has low power due to compression. It's ugly as sin. The pictures make it look better than it actually is.

skellington

Re: Ryan's TE38

Post by skellington »

It was on CL in LA area. This thing is rough. Interior needs all new. It runs better and better every time I drive it. More of its electrical components are coming alive too. More pics

skellington

Post by skellington »

Parts!

I did some work on my mesh wheels. 2 are about done.
Primer:
Bright silver paint:
Clearcoat:
Assembled:
The outer rim / lip is natural aluminum. it will be polished. Pics do not do justice. It looks like bright glittery paint under glass.

Out with the old, and in with the new Weber 32/36. I have done this on many of my old Toyota projects, so I have it down. I got to this stage in about 15 mins.
I replaced the gaskets on my valve cover gasket, and figured I should clean it so I can see if it leaks.
Before:
During:
After with new carb and clean-ish valve cover:

skabrock5

Post by skabrock5 »

Mad respect to anyone building these old yotas. I see all the work that needs to be done and I'm like dang man stay patient and have fun with it.
skellington

Post by skellington »

I have done a lot to this car
Goodies!

I tuned the car and replaced a lot of wearable parts to get it reliable. Drove it to work and gave it good pressure washing.

Horrible rust hole... Look away!

We can look to pretty suspension parts instead.
skellington

Post by skellington »

I got 2 new tires on the mesh wheels. These are them with both on one side. I think the tires are a bit big for the front. Lots of traction with them both on the back.
I took my spare 1978 2tc out of storage and dissasembled it.
Here is everything out and cleaned up. As you can see, there are 2 crankshafts. One is to punch this baby to 1800cc 3TC BABY!
All engine parts are getting machiened, so Ill distract myself with some more suspension work. I cut these even shorter. Took a total of 2.25" out of the tubes. :o Im going for that low ground hugger look.
Painted and assembled.
Comparison to stock.
Stink Bug!

I am loving the progress of this car. I drove it a few hundred miles to Toyotafest in Long Beach CA this year. I use it to commute to work. My steering joints are getting bad, so I will be doing those soon. I also need to get that back end down.
Madslammer

Post by Madslammer »

Hi... Where did you get the coil over setup?