My other TE-27

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

skellington

My other TE-27

Post by skellington »

Well I saw a deal that I couldn't pass. My wife spotted a 1974 corolla on Craigslist and the posting was recent. Due to how hard these are to find, I jumped on it and called the guy. It was in a tow yard, and had been sitting there for 8-10 years. It was stored indoors for most the time. I told the guy I wanted it and would see him in driving time (3 1/2 hours). The seller had pulled the tank, dumped the old gas, cleaned and put about 2 gallons of new gas in it. He charged the battery that was in it, and it fired right up. It had a very high idle and some hesitation. It even has AC! It blew cold after about a min. I bought the car and he delivered it using his AAA tow card. This TE-27 is in much better shape than my other one. My wife was asking me to get her a cool car to fix up, and I think this one fits the bill for her.

skellington

Re: My other TE-27

Post by skellington »

Plans are to make it a daily driver. My wife drives less than a mile a day. It's getting some TLC. we have cleaned it up and gave it some fluid changes. The AC blows COLD! It idles a little high right now, but we await some maintenance parts to do more work. This car will probably stay automatic at this time. My other te27 of the same color and year might be getting the 5 speed bits that I have saved up.

Outside of car is washed:

The engine bay will still need a little cleaning. I cleaned off the header pipe. 8)
skellington

Post by skellington »

Parts came in. In the next few weeks the wife and I (yes, she works on the car too) will be tackling: rear bumper, master brake cylinder, rear slave cylinders, rear shoes, hardware, carb rebuild (or weber), intake gaskets, mechanical fuel pump, all soft fuel lines, fuel filter, Distributor cap, rotor, wires, plugs, breaker points, Radiator car, top hose, bottom hose, water pump, all small cooling hoses, and a thorough cleaning of the engine bay.
808TurboCorolla

Post by 808TurboCorolla »

Man that car is sick! I wish I could find car in that shape here in Hawaii.. I look forward to seeing your progress :D
baldo

Post by baldo »

So your wife like old toyotas and work on cars also? Where did you find this perfect creature at!? What are you going to say next, she likes sports? :shock: :lol: Its hard to find anything earlier than 77, lucky you! I wouldnt even call that a project car, looks very nice. It just needs some parts upgraded. Keep up posted!
skellington

Post by skellington »

These old corollas are hard to find here too. I see a few peanuts here and there for 5k+ but only 3 te27s in the last few years. One had a mazda engine, was TRASHED, and wanted over 5k, the other two, I bought. :P The wife likes to work with me. She did like hondas at first, but I showed her the light. This one is going to be her sweet ride.
toyorotor

Post by toyorotor »

Looks real good.... well except for the Dual mufflers... :lol: but in real good shape...
I think I have an extra right side tail light if you need it.
skellington

Post by skellington »

toyorotor wrote:Looks real good.... well except for the Dual mufflers... :lol: but in real good shape...
I think I have an extra right side tail light if you need it.
You know you like the dual tip in the bumper holes. :lol: That crap has been hacked off already.
Toywagon82

Post by Toywagon82 »

Beautiful car man,
what a good find
73 Te27
77 Te38
82 Te72
skellington

Post by skellington »

New water pump, fuel pump, and intake gaskets so far. I flushed out the cooling passages with a garden hose. There was so much crap in there, I think the seller cracked an egg in the radiator so it didn't leak. The small passage coming off the water pump was fully blocked. We are doing some cleaning while we are there.

Bought an Ebay Genuine Weber. They said it wont fit the 74, but I am determined to make it happen.

I pulled this manifold off the engine because the provided adapter doesn't fit.

Good thing I keep spares. This one is from a 78. There is a pesky EGR tube that will male a large vaccume leak. I know its not stock, but this is a driver, and I keep my stock parts.

I cleaned the EGR port well and filled about 2" of it with RTV.

It's a very tight fit. You have to remove the distributor to get this one on.

Crappy low light pic of carb mostly installed. I swapped the fuel inlet to the passenger side. It fits under hood fine. Ill do linkage when I have more light.

I also forgot to post my reconditioned Minilites. They were for my car, but she wanted them, so she stole them off my TE27. Looks like I will have to recondition my mesh wheels too.Image