79 TE38 Corolla Wagon DLX 2TC Auto. Ansen Sprint 15"

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

isopycnic

79 TE38 Corolla Wagon DLX 2TC Auto. Ansen Sprint 15"

Post by isopycnic »

Here's the gallery
http://picasaweb.google.com/10066960463 ... orollaTE38#
and the very incomplete Blog http://nbaycorolla.blogspot.com

I'll get some photobucket setup, but it's not working for me yet. Then I'll have some pics here.

I'm an absolute newbie, so I'm just here to learn. First Toyota. Picked it up in Oregon, where it was covered in moss.

I brought it to California, and had to smog it and get a new cat. Budget Tune and Lube in Napa helped troubleshoot and run smog until I could get it to pass. It was a plugged EGR port, where the cleanout plug is on the engine. Not easy to crack that nut. Was absolutely full of something. Maybe somebodies way of doing a desmog. :lol: Went from Gross Polluter pre-smog for the NOX to almost 0.

Wipers were worn so bad it left double rainbow on the glass! Got so tired of that. Put a new windshield in it at Vic's Auto Glass and got an Ultra Performance 70% tint for it and the front door windows at Audio House in Napa.

Tore off all the trim, which was just to thrashed. Roof rack and everything else. Cut off rear bumper, since it wouldn't break loose. Front one came off. Lighter, now. Took all the glass out and most of the interior, and only put the front door interior panels back. It was funny driving around with only the windshield in. Reminds me of the episode of Mighty Car Mods where they cut the top off a car and strip it to get it faster.

I cleaned up rust and used some epoxy putty to fill some small holes. I just did a basic spray can primer and Rustoleum industrial enamel on the interior and around the windows, so I could put the glass back.

Finally bought some wider 15" wheels for it, which make it safer, for sure, not that it wasn't fun skidding around corners on the narrow tires.

I want to wait on doing much more until I have more of a plan. It's an automatic, which is less desirable for sporty cars, but just fine for cruising. I find that I can put it into 2 and L when I want to take hard corners. What else. Just played around with the screws on the Aisan carb to see what they do, and took the vac line off the diaphragm for the EGR. F'ing annoying to drive with it on. Recently replaced the starter and, the battery cables. Sanded and repainted the battery tray.