OST-028: Redline it baby....

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

Rolap7

Re: OST-028: Redline it baby....

Post by Rolap7 »

MUCH RESPECT! Your patience is inspiring. Keep up the good work! :)
"As the excellence of steel is strength, and the excellence of art is beauty, so the excellence of mankind is moral character." - A.W. Tozer
oldeskewltoy

Post by oldeskewltoy »

oldeskewltoy wrote: Well.... at least now... I can pull this out of the corner, dust off the past 4 months, and get this assembled....

Short gif... first view is half assembled, 2nd is fully assembled 3rd view is with lifter buckets installed.....

now all I'll need to do is fit the CORRECT shims, under my clients Poncams....

More to come..... :mrgreen:
oldeskewltoy

Post by oldeskewltoy »

oldeskewltoy wrote:
now all I'll need to do is fit the CORRECT shims, under my clients Poncams....

There is a Tomei Poncam, this one is indicated on the box and the cam itself as the intake cam... interesting that the dist drive gear is there.....

The client included all of his shim and bucket assemblies, remember those labelled parts?
oldeskewltoy wrote: Image

Each bag contained a valve, a spring, a retainer, a spring seat, and 2 keepers, a lifter/bucket, and a shim.
I took each shim - carefully cleaned, then measured, then and put into my shim kit. The shims coming out were mostly 2.95mm and 3.00mm with a 2.9 and a 3.05 coming out as well. With freshly machined seats, and many "new" valves, I guessed that I should begin with 2.85mm shims to accommodate the seats and valves being cut.

Here are the initial measurements(intakes): measurements in inches.
"L" = loose, but not quite fitting the next size
"T" = tight, but not quite fitting the next size
1 - .011L
2 - .006T
3 - .008L
4 - .012
5 - .013T
6 - .009
7 - .006
8 - .012

So anyone remember Tomei Poncams intake clearance? How many of the valves need adjusting?

More to come...... :mrgreen:
oldeskewltoy

Post by oldeskewltoy »

Intake side set.... shim kit to right has well over 200 shims Image
most being 2.9, 2.95, and 3.0 Image

This job is requiring a few thinner shims, I'll need to order 2 - 2.65mm shims, and 1 - 2.75mm shim...

about a week out.....

Anyone care to guess which valve I'm measuring, and what size feeler gauge I'm using??

more to come....... :mrgreen:
gotae86

Post by gotae86 »

oldeskewltoy wrote: Anyone care to guess which valve I'm measuring, and what size feeler gauge I'm using??
I'm guessing exhaust valve 3 and 4. Using 0.3mm feeler gauge.

I finished my 4AGE build about a month ago and I'm working on two more heads as we speak. :geek:

g
oldeskewltoy

Post by oldeskewltoy »

gotae86 wrote:
oldeskewltoy wrote: Anyone care to guess which valve I'm measuring, and what size feeler gauge I'm using??
I'm guessing exhaust valve 3 and 4. Using 0.3mm feeler gauge.

I finished my 4AGE build about a month ago and I'm working on two more heads as we speak. :geek:

g

The specs on the Tomei cams* is .20mm intake and .25mm exhaust - note no range, Tomei wants them as tight to .20, and .25 as they can be.

Tomei Cam card - http://ost.ebeans.ch/albums/userpics/10 ... l_file.jpg

exhaust valve #3, the gauge can be seen... and the exhaust side would be .010"(.25mm)