bitsa ke74 wagon 3teu project

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

AE25

bitsa ke74 wagon 3teu project

Post by AE25 »

I've had this wagon sitting on the lawn for about a year. Felt like I had to save it as the previous owner wasn't having any luck selling prior to going overseas and it was cheap for the rolling chassis.
So this is how i got it. made up an A-frame to tow it home.

For anyone not knowing about a ke74, it's a rhd jdm model with a 1500cc 5k-J motor and T40/T50 gearbox with 6.38" drum diff. They have a recirculating ball steering box and hydraulic clutch like the te71/ce71.
Codes: 5K-J T40 S292
The engine and box had been parted out already which are high demand here in NZ. The reason being bad rust around the bonnet hinges and firewall need attention before it can see the road again. (what am i getting myself into!)
Funnily a pushrod 3t sells here for nz$100 whereas a 5k can be upwards of nz$300.
Another reason for doing this project is to use up some of the leftover parts from my ke70 drift hack.

The thought of making a 3T-TE hybrid has been smouldering for some time so this seems as good a chassis as any to build one.
I've started an engine info page which will be updated when things progress http://toycrazy.net/tech/3tte/3tte.html

But for now, i'll be using an engine recently acquired for $100 which when i went to collect, turned out to be a 13T-U unfortunately. So will likely ditch the emissions carb and egr and fit 2T-B twin downdrafts with a tweak to the jetting. There's no good reason modifying the engine as the combustion chambers and pistons are much different to the normal hemi head 3T. They can't handle boost. :roll:

A while back I grabbed a 3t-eu setup from a jdm ta63 carina at the wreckers (thanks callum WDE_BDY for sorting this).

So this will be a starting point using the oem 3t-eu efi gear. Eventually i'll probably want to fit a turbo and oem 3tgt efi system using the leftover parts from my 3t-gte powered ke70 coupe hack which i'm upgrading to a basic Link v5 programmable ecu. At that point the 3T-TE engine using 3tgte bottom end converted to pushrod spec and 3t-eu head should be built.

For the drive train it'll use a 22spline T50 box which was original to the car.
I've then raided a jdm ma45 celicaXX for the diff which is a T series disk brake (identical to the USDM ma46 supra rear but with 6.7" head). Then picked up a kouki ae86 rear housing and axles to keep the rear track the same width. i'll cut/weld leaf mounts onto it and swap all the ma45 disk gear across. I think i have an old two piece te71 levin driveshaft somewhere to match the 6.7" head length.

Also from a ma45 I have the lower control arms and front struts which were originally fitted in my ke70 drift hack. they bolt in by swapping the springs and top hats and these have solid 10" disks and metal-king pads for a slight upgrade.
Also bought some ma61 supras 15x6 alloys for it.
That's about where i'm at with it.
Last edited by AE25 on Mon May 12, 2014 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Toyota1515

Re: bitsa ke74 wagon 3teu project

Post by Toyota1515 »

Nice
SF5 FOZZY
BOBLOOK

Post by BOBLOOK »

welcome nice wagon and project
The day we learn to think
Heiska

Post by Heiska »

Wow nice wagon! In here 3t is around 3-500€. 5k is 500€-->. That k to t bellhousing would sell here too :lol:
AE25

Post by AE25 »

Thanks. it's nothing pretty at the moment. The red is not original either. it was 033 white so i'll likely repaint it back original once the rust work is finished.

Heiska, k-t bellhousing i've seen sell for up to nz$350 here. one day i'll finish and manufacture some upright k-t bells as there's still af few kp starlets racing.