Budget build to make a preppy 3TC

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

Amanofgreatevil

Budget build to make a preppy 3TC

Post by Amanofgreatevil »

Hey guys, brand new to the fourms and I just picked myself a decent deal for a 1982 Corrola with the 3TC. I got this car after I rolled my beautiful 4Runner, and I actually like this little car. I am still new to the Toyotas. I like them for what they are, they take a beating and last long.

So I got me a little 1982 Corrola for $900 from a good buddy of mine. Car takes me everywhere I want to go and its perfect for that. I want to build the engine to be not all crazy fast, but enough to accerate decently. The motor that is in the car right now has 300,000 miles, eats oil like no other, no compression, with a slippery clutch, and leaving me trail of blue smoke for miles and probally have under 50hp. I have a heavy foot and this little thing seriously takes a beating.

I just got me another 3tc for $400 with 129k miles on it, feels like it has very strong compression. Its on a engine stand halfway taken apart already. While the old 3TC is still running, I want to build this motor up and put it in the Corrola when its done. I want to see if you guys can share some of your experances on building this motor on the cheap, what to go with and not to go with. This will be my first time building a Toyota engine, I built and raced V8s, this one would be fun.

This is what I am going to do with the new 3TC
-Headers from ebay for $100
-Double valve springs from BRD
-Rods from BRD
-Bigger Valves from BRD
-Shave Head, ported and polished portings
-Biggest streetable Cam (not worried about essmisions here)
-Engine regasket, new timing chain, and waterpump
-Flywheel Reshaving (it might be warped)
-Stage 2 Clutch
-Tune up with royal purple
-Modify to fit the 1998 R1 motorcycle carbs
-Engine, and engine bay repaint (of course :mrgreen: )

Questions for you guys;
1.What the max I could shave the head before anything hits, and what head gasket I should use?
2. Have anyone used motorcycle carbs, are the R1 bikes carb are suitable?
3. What the biggest cam I can use for the streets
4. The guy I got the engine from said "Japan Engine" sells the cheapest gasket kit there is, but couldnt find it. Anyone know of them and know the website for it?

Sorry if this post a newb, just want some help on my current setup. Here some pictures. Many thanks. Also heres a tease picture of my life long project race machine.

hemilove

Re: Budget build to make a preppy 3TC

Post by hemilove »

hello new guy. I have done the r1 carb swap and man is it a difference in power look at the r1 Toyota hilux thread and ask questions if you want im here to help.
Amanofgreatevil

Haha, I saw your post bud, Sick truck! The idea was actually from your thread, very nicely done and got me motivated big time.

Did you have to do anything with the carbs to make them work, besides making the intake and throttle cable. What is the material you used for the intake?

How did the R1 made the motor? Better gas milage, decent throttle response?

How you think these carbs will do for a big cam, and high compression engine?

Sorry for many question, it just nice to know everything before doing the build.

Cheers,
amanofgreatevil.
skellington

Post by skellington »

"Double valve springs from BRD"
If I were you, I would look into VW type 2 aircooled springs to save on $$$
I'm looking forward to your engine build. If you could, give a parts list to what you end up using and the cost so others can get an estimate on a build like this.
Amanofgreatevil

Yes sir, that was the plan.. I dont know there are other build threads out there. I thought to make one, that is actively posted and detailed so people can bring these beast of motor into the streets again. This post will have my old 3tc details, and the new 3tc details, videos of it running, and on the strips. This would be a lively topic guys, I couldn't find any videos on youtube NA 3tc on the strips, they are all turbo. They are bad ass though! I want to see what a high compression 3tc can do building it budget. Less bang for the buck for more motor is the deal here.

What exact year and model I should look for the springs? As long they're better than stock, I am game!

Today my old 3tc is blowing up a head gasket, sucking oil like no other, a whole new level of slow. However still faster than my rockcrawler 4runner :lol:
73te27

Post by 73te27 »

I wouldnt buy the cheapest gasket set I could find. I have before and its not worth it. I always use felpro now except for the "premium" valve stem seals that come with the kit, those are crap.
Amanofgreatevil

73te27 wrote:I wouldnt buy the cheapest gasket set I could find. I have before and its not worth it. I always use felpro now except for the "premium" valve stem seals that come with the kit, those are crap.
I completely 100% agree with you on that. I just wanted to see if anyone heard of Japan Engine, basically it's a gasket place. I was told by the seller (real nice guy), I just don't know much details where to find them. I was hoping someone on the forums here have experience with them, the source, website, and how they like them.
hemilove

Post by hemilove »

ok so material was steel pipe from a fence I had leying around. I heated and bent the pipe and mig welded it together so it work I made a flange plate out of steel plate for the intake.
the carbs need to get a dyno jet kit stage 1 springs and needles. I installed a low pressure ebay fuel pump 0-5 psi max a cheap ebay fuel pressure regulator one in let in and one out
the truck runs great its more alive it breathes great and is torque. it wants to keep on going and wont stop but the head and cam hold it back a lot.
compression bump up with a cam would make it beast man.
gas milage is like 20-25 mpg average for a 1.8