OST-028: Redline it baby....

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

oldeskewltoy

Re: OST-028: Redline it baby....

Post by oldeskewltoy »

mikealike wrote:Wow good write up so far..

thanks.... hopefully the rest will be as good :)

A familiar view........ maybe not??

A not so familiar view.... Here are both intake ports #1 and #4 mostly prepped for filling....

I still need to do a few drillings into the delete plate.

I'll be using 2 different compounds to do the above "fill job" The first one is called "Splash Zone A-788", it is a 2 part epoxy compound.

If your eyes are good you will read it even sets up under water. I don't need its marine qualities, I do need its strength, its mold-ability, and its relative high temp capability. Although strong, and highly recommended in the advanced engine porting world, it is not fully resistant to fuels.

The 2nd compound I'll be using is POR15 fuel tank sealer as a top coat.

This will fully encapsulate the Spash Zone A-788 and seal it from fuel decay...

For those who read the por15 label reading combustible.... read further - http://qr.absolutecoatings.com/QR-asset ... Sealer.pdf (to those that don't want to read it... once cured the POR15 sealant can withstand 315 degrees continuous, or 450 for 72 hours

a LOT more to come........ :shock:
hemilove

Post by hemilove »

that should do it man at 400 degrees that's like a torch but engines would hit 200+ anything more is a boom noise
oldeskewltoy

Post by oldeskewltoy »

hemilove wrote:that should do it man at 400 degrees that's like a torch but engines would hit 200+ anything more is a boom noise
Lesson - ALWAYS do your research.........

oldeskewltoy wrote:
I'll be using 2 different compounds to do the above "fill job" The first one is called "Splash Zone A-788", it is a 2 part epoxy compound.

If your eyes are good you will read it even sets up under water. I don't need its marine qualities, I do need its strength, its mold-ability, and its relative high temp capability. Although strong, and highly recommended in the advanced engine porting world, it is not fully resistant to fuels.

a LOT more to come........
internets garbage.... research.... research.... research... and then research some more!!! http://lonestarspecialties.net/wp-conte ... NEA788.pdf

Short version 200 degrees steady, 250 for short periods of time... fail :(

Oh... besides the above tasty tidbit (chart)... I got a response from JB Weld from an email I sent.....
ost email to JBWeld wrote:Customer service rep.....

I'm looking for a heat resistant (300) putty, that will function in an air and fuel(gasoline) environment. I've included a short gif (animated photo) showing what I need to do.

The red dots are small drilled dimples, the single grey dot shows where I'd drill and then fit a screw, or similar threaded shaft as a protruding anchor. The thickness, at its thickest point will be about 7/16"

Thank you for your assistance

JB Weld Customer Service wrote:Dan,

I would use our Original JB Weld (8265s.) Thanks for your inquiry, and good luck with your repair!

Sincerely,

Customer Service
JB Weld

Soooooooooo after all this.... it looks like the original JB Weld, along with the POR15 fuel tank coating...

MORE to come.....
Toyota1515

Post by Toyota1515 »

I just want to see if all these extra effort pay off big time in the HP department, cuz you are going like crazy to try squeezze the last HP possible and if at least it wont pick 40 or more HP compare to one without all those mods (hope it does), will be a waste of time and effort! just my honest opinion.
SF5 FOZZY
oldeskewltoy

Post by oldeskewltoy »

Toyota1515 wrote:I just want to see if all these extra effort pay off big time in the HP department, cuz you are going like crazy to try squeezze the last HP possible and if at least it wont pick 40 or more HP compare to one without all those mods (hope it does), will be a waste of time and effort! just my honest opinion.
YES, there will likely be improvement in the 1500-6000 rpm range, with no ill effects between 6000 and 8000 , and overall driveability will be better then if I had not performed all this "effort"

BUT...

between you and me (and others who read THIS forum...) No... this was not worth my effort, a properly designed, and executed manifold would have been a FAR wiser expenditure.

Manifold ports 1 and 4 are now filled, the client also asked me if I could supply him with a power brake port, as well as ports for an ignition MAP signal.

oldeskewltoy wrote: the JB Weld is in... BUT.... because the JB Weld is a paste, it doesn't want to cooperate in providing me the shape I want... so I'm stuck using a form to help keep the shape :thumbsdown:
So the form would release, I used wax paper between the form, and the JB Weld, it worked pretty well, releasing, but it caused a few issues as well. The biggest issue is although wrapped tightly around the form, when inserted the wax paper wrinkled and left a less-than desirable surface

This is port 4, and although the wax paper left a less than desirable surface, I contributed a bit to the problem by under filling this port, not by a lot mind you - 1/4-1/2 a teaspoon.... but by under filling I got the surface flaws seen.

For a better example, port #1 was a better fill...

still wax paper flaws, but with more fill, the flaws were easier to blend away.

I was a bit disappointed... until I let perspective show me MY mountain (flaws), was really no more then a molehill... if that.

Perspective... yes, this is just a larger view of the 2nd photo in this post, but look at the center 2 ports... the casting lines are far more significant then the "flaws" left by me....

Now as to the vacuum... my client asked me to supply him with a port for his brake booster, and ports for his ignition MAP. I utilized the delete plate to carry all of these vacuum ports.

Initially I thought I'd tap the port floors for vacuum, and then I remembered this was a carbureted engine and thought better of having the ports in the floor(gasoline environment), so I put them in the delete plate roof instead.

Typically (largeport) the power brake vacuum is pulled off a plenum. No plenum like that with carbs. The smallport applications tap off the #4 intake runner, and that is what I did, but I did this one a bit differently.

I decided on going in from the side based on advice given to me by someone who has researched carb type 4AGs more than I. His reasoning was it allowed for the brake booster port to NOT interfere with linkage, or other hardware associated with carb installations.

The taper drilling is an attempt to minimize any air flow disturbance

I'm just waiting on the valve springs so I can begin re-assembly, and then set cam-valve clearances......

More to come.... :mrgreen:
Toyota1515

Post by Toyota1515 »

You are damn right buddy, i have being in your shoes before and trust me, whether it works or not it is time well spent and experience you acquired, and my friend that no one can take it from you and you will know why i argue that much with kids that think everything they read in the net is LAW!
SF5 FOZZY
BOBLOOK

Post by BOBLOOK »

Wow nice work awesome the time put in wow
The day we learn to think
oldeskewltoy

Post by oldeskewltoy »

BOBLOOK wrote:Wow nice work awesome the time put in wow
I do this with all my headwork.....

current job is a 5MG head....
skabrock5

Post by skabrock5 »

Our engineers here at my job get paid good money for Research and Development. Time well spent. This is how new products are created or improved. Very interested on how this will turn out.
oldeskewltoy

Post by oldeskewltoy »

anyone wonder why this wasn't finished.... :?: :?:

Toda springs have been my go to valve spring for the 4AGE, they can handle the lifts and durations of almost ever cam that runs single springs...

BUT....... the client and I have been waiting since before September (mid August actually) for Toda valve springs - 4 MONTHS!! The client ordered these parts through Vivid Racing... we waited... and waited.... I emailed them, and called them. They told us they were on back order... and that they had "personnel issues". I tried to call the US imported Misano Motorsports... but they didn't pick up their phone. Finally I emailed Toda Japan, and although I got no response from Toda, just about 2 weeks later the springs arrived.

Well.... at least now... I can pull this out of the corner, dust off the past 4 months, and get this assembled, and valves adjusted.... so

more to come.... :mrgreen: