Hello, new Toyota Ministock Racer

Take the time and tell us a little about yourself

Moderators: BOBLOOK, AE25, pufito18

autodoctor911

Hello, new Toyota Ministock Racer

Post by autodoctor911 »

I am a mechanic and amateur racer. I have done some time trials and DE events with PCA and some autocrossing, but I now am working on putting a Ministock Celica back together to race at Central Texas Speedway in the Texas Pro Sedan Series.

The car has been raced before with a 3TC. I have a T40 trans that is supposed to be built for racing(not sure what was done), but no engine currently in the car. I may be able to get the previous owner to find a bellhousing for a t motor, but don't have one yet.

I am debating whether to go ahead and get a 3tc and put it back to the way it was, or find a 4age, or maybe even a 3SGE Beams Altezza/Lexus motor from the JDM breaker. I have seen a t50 s bellhousing for sale online, which with the right flywheel/clutch combo should fit the t40 to the 3sge beams or I could fit the 6 speed, but it would be a considerable weight increase for gears I will never use.

A 3tc will probably net around 200hp with the 500cfm holley with poor drivability and low end torque, even if bored out to 1900cc, or for a 100lbs more minimum weight, I could run the 3sge Beams with a lot more low end grunt, the same power or a little more and the complete reliability and drive-ability of a newer Lexus. It would be much cheaper than the 3tc and although it may take a fair amount of work to get it going, and a little more to tweak it for max power with various restrictor plates that will undoubtedly be required if I am doing well, it should be a very durable engine that I wouldn't need to ever open up, and a complete replacement can be had for less than the cost of a 10krpm clutch kit for the 3tc. The engine itself will be heavier, putting more weight on the front as well as the higher minimum race weight, so handling will suffer slightly.

Problem: rules are biased toward carberetors and against DOHC. Normally DOHC engines are required to run a smaller carb:weber DGV, or maybe DGAS, where as "normal" engines can run a Holley 500cfm 4412 2bbl. Fuel injection is not currently used, but may be considered under the R&D provisions of the rules.

Then there is the 4age. It would allow me to weigh about 2-400lbs less than the other engines, if I can make the car that light, as well as make almost the same power, probably even with the slightly smaller DGAS weber, compared to the 500cfm Holley on the 3tc. If they enforce the 32/36, it will be down a little more, but probably still match the performance at the lighter weight. Will have less ability to move weight around with ballast, since I would probably be well over minimum, unless I go tube frame.

Whatever I do, If I spend a bunch of money and kick ass, they will penalize me out of the front of the grid wit weight or other restrictions.
2G Celica ministock
pufito18

Re: Hello, new Toyota Ministock Racer

Post by pufito18 »

welcome to 3tc bro
BOBLOOK

Re: Hello, new Toyota Ministock Racer

Post by BOBLOOK »

Welcome on board 3tc
The day we learn to think